Fall is in the air and with the changing of the leaves comes football season, pumpkin patches and everyone’s favorite type of meals – comfort food.
There’s just something about a slow cooked roast, simmering stew and cozy comfort foods that make the brisk winds of autumn a bit more enjoyable. While summer is great for grilling and handcrafting burgers, for many of us there is nothing better than sitting around the dinner table with a warm bowl of soup and crusty French bread to share a meal with family and friends.
Fall is also great time to experiment with different cooking methods. From oven roasting, crock pot cooking or testing out a pressure cooker, there are tons of easy and delicious meals you can make with Certified Hereford Beef as the headliner of the plate.
Enjoy this collection of some of our favorite Fall recipes. We hope these comfort classics inspire you to try something new and catch up with friends and family over a cozy meal that will keep your belly – and your heart – warm.
Mississippi Pot Roast
This is a great meal to throw in the slow cooker in the morning and forget about until dinnertime. Warning: it WILL make your house smell amazing! This recipe is the epitome of simplicity.
• 4 pounds Certified Hereford Beef chuck roast
• ½ cup butter
• 1 package au jus gravy mix
• Pepperocini peppers to taste
• Place the roast in a slow cooker. Place butter, pepperoncini peppers, ranch dressing mix and au jus mix on top of the roast. Add vegetables if desired. Cook on low for 8 hours.
Beefy Red Beans and Rice
Nothing takes you home quite like a big bowl of homemade red beans and rice. Add in Certified Hereford Beef for a can’t-miss meal!
• 1 pound ground Certified Hereford Beef
• 1 medium bell pepper, diced
• 1 can (15 or 16 ounces) red or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 package (5.4 to 6.8) Santa Fe or Mexican rice mix with seasonings
• 1 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Heat a large, nonstick pan over medium heat. Add ground beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into ¾-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings and return to skillet.
• Stir in beans, rice mix and water, omitting oil or margarine indicated in package directions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook according to time indicated in package directions or until rice is tender.
• Remove from heat; let stand according to package directions. Top with tomato; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Hearty Beef Stew
This beef stew is made with a Certified Hereford Beef chuck roast, and boy is it good! Try this recipe on a chilly evening to warm your soul. Hearty beef stew tastes especially good when there’s a fire crackling in the fireplace.
• 2-21/2 pounds Certified Hereford Beef boneless beef chuck, cut into 1-inch pieces.
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Salt and ground black pepper to taste
• ¼ cup all-purpose flour
• 2 celery stalks, chopped
• 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
• 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 “ thick pieces
• 1 cup onion, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, chopped
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 6 cups beef broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 pound potatoes, quartered
• Sprinkle the cubed beef with flour to evenly coat. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a medium stockpot. Add the beef and cook until browned (about 3-4 minutes per side). Remove beef from stockpot once cooked.
• Add the onion, carrots and celery to the stockpot and sauté until onions are clear, about 5 minutes.
• Add beef broth, tomato paste, mushrooms and potatoes. Stir well and season with bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a slow boil and simmer for 30 minutes before serving.
Don’t forget to have fun while cooking this Autumn season! There’s no better way to spend your time than gathering with your family and friends over a delicious home-cooked meal. We sincerely hope Certified Hereford Beef will help you make these memories.