Spanish Paella – with a Certified Hereford Beef twist!
May 9, 2019
Have you ever heard of the traditional Spanish dish called Paella? Pronounced “pi-A-yah,” this rice dish is traditionally served loaded with seafood and meat in a large wok-like pan. While seafood is a great option to use in Paella, adding in Certified Hereford Beef summer sausage as your protein of choice really gives this dish a fun twist!
Paella is one of my favorite dishes to create for all my friends at the Minnesota state fishing opening weekend at the cabin. This northern Minnesota paella recipe has been a special treat for “the crew.” It is requested every year, along with a Certified Hereford Beef prime rib dinner the next night.
Best prepared for a large group and made fireside, my paella has quickly become a fishing weekend tradition.
The addition of the Certified Hereford Beef summer sausage is a fun way to mix up this dish. There are four variations of the summer sausage to choose from – original, cheddar and jalapeno, pepper jack and jalapeno, and cheddar. If you are feeling in a spicy mood, I would recommend one of the jalapeno blends for a little extra kick. If traditional is more your style, the original and cheddar blends are a great choice. Regardless of what you choose – you really can’t go wrong!
So whether you are preparing this dish on a weekend excursion or for a weeknight at home, make sure to add extra Certified Hereford Beef summer sausage and enjoy! This dish will soon become a family favorite.
• 2 cans diced tomatoes with juice
• 5 cups chicken stock
• 1 tablespoon paprika
• 2 pinches of Saffron for added color and flavor
• 1 whole onion, diced
• 4 whole garlic cloves, diced
• 4 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 stick unsalted butter
• 3 cups paella rice or easy cook rice
• 2 cups sliced Certified Hereford Beef summer sausage
• 1 pound fresh shrimp or caught fish, diced
• 1 pound green peas
• 2 lemons, sliced
• 1 bunch fresh parsley
1. Place a paella pan, or a large metal skillet, on your heat source.
2. Add olive oil, butter, tomato juice from diced tomatoes and rice into a pan with two cups of chicken stock. Cooking for 15 minutes, adding chicken stock as the broth reduces. Stir and cover, adding more chicken stock and rice absorbs the stock.
3. Add onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, lemon juice from one lemon and saffron. Stir into the mixture and cover. Adjust the chicken stock if needed. The mixture should be a bit broth-like.
4. Add in the Certified Hereford Beef summer sausage. Stir and cover for five minutes.
5. Add in fresh shrimp and/or fish and the fresh green peas. Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
6. Remove the paella from the heat. Garnish with fresh parsley sprigs and lemon slices. The paella should have absorbed all the liquid at this point. If not, simmer until broth is absorbed.
7. Serve the paella with fresh flour tortillas or sliced baguettes and enjoy!